Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 22: Death Occurred Last Night

































I was originally going to watch a sleazy, softcore-esque movie, but at the last minute I decided to change things up and pop this into my player.

And all I can say is--

Wow.

Just.  Wow.

This movie knocked me on my ass.

Of all the new gialli I got to catch this month, Death Occurred Last Night is far and away the best.  It's a gripping, tense, and ultimately heartbreaking work that I'm honestly surprised isn't discussed often in genre circles.

The film revolves around Amanzio.  His daughter is 25, but has the mental capacity of a three year old.  In her state, she has been taken advantage of by men who use her for sex, so Amanzio has to have six locks put on every door to keep her safe while he has to work.  One night, he returns home, and she is missing.

Honestly, I hate to do this to you.  Again.  But this is truly a case where I do not want to divulge any more.

The story, the direction, and the performances (especially by Beryl Cunningham, who almost steals the show) are almost perfect.  I give this film one of my highest recommendations, and want to tell you this gives me the energy to finish the month.

Go find a copy of this film somehow.  Now.

Later.
-Justin

1 comment:

  1. from title, this was my vote for initial movie.

    glad to hear it is good.

    ReplyDelete